Tuesday, November 4, 2014

AI Syncing Continued

Today, I got the AI syncing ready for testing.  It runs, but I don't know yet whether everything is syncing correctly.  It was a very tedious process to get it to this point, so I'm excited for it to be over.  I'm sure I'll be making modifications in the future, but I have the foundation completed.  Hopefully I'll just be making small revisions or adding to it in the future instead of rewriting everything.  But I don't think I will, because I really think it's a good system.

I'm debating whether I should just build a simple AI and the networking, and then put all of my focus into just experimenting with the mechanics so I can evolve the gameplay.  My reasoning is that I might write an entire AI only to either rewrite it to fit new mechanics or never evolve the game because I don't want to rewrite the AI.  I could instead build a simple AI and rely on networking to test the gameplay.  However, at the same time, I don't yet have someone to test it with, so I'd have to either find testers or another developer to work with before I can move forward, and I really don't want Sever's development to be dependent on anyone's time other than my own.

The other possibility is to try to make the AI flexible so that I can easily modify it to work with new mechanics.  I'm not sure.  It's a bit scary, to be honest.  But I don't want to give up just yet.  One thing that's encouraging is that I don't plan to change the mechanics that much.  I don't want to add features willy nilly.  I'll only add mechanics that I think will feel true to the game mechanics, like they belong.  The game will be hyper-focused on the core game mechanics and will merely try to explore every possible situation presented by those few mechanics.  This will keep the game tight and smaller than most RTS's.

I'm scared again, but I pushed through last time, and I plan to do it again.  Thanks for reading!

clevceo

No comments: