Thursday, December 13, 2007

Welcome

For those who've already been reading my blog, this post is for newcomers. It is this post that I will link to outside this blog. I want this to be a starting point.

Welcome to my dev blog. I've been working on Sever for a while, and as it's finally taking form, I'd like to get a little more exposure, even if that means just a few regular readers. I've even started a Google Group. Please join and share your input.

Sever's development began a year and a half ago. In fact, if you'd read from the beginning, you'd see I'm on my fourth attempt. I've matured as a developer and so has Sever. And after all the frustration, it's finally coming together. If there's a fifth attempt, it will be Sever 2.

Sever is an odd sort of RTS. I don't think there's another like it...anywhere. I guess the best comparison is a competitive connect-the-dots match where the goal is to sever the others' lines with your own. However, that's a very incomplete picture. For a more complete concept, look here. I've made a few conceptual changes since then, as you'll see if you read on, but nothing huge.

Also, it's not a simple arcade game like many indies out there. The gameplay mechanics are just complex enough to merit a more polished and complete game. If I can gather the people, both graphics and music will be high-quality. To top it off, there will also be a single-player campaign mode with a compelling story. Yes, a connect-the-dots fan fic.

The only two things haunting me at the moment are fog-of-war and AI. Neither of which I've done before. However, I have a few ideas. I've read a few articles on fog of war, but none seem to fit Sever's needs. I have one idea that's perfectly doable, but I don't know that it's the most efficient. But have faith. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for reading. And remember to take a look at my Google Group.

clevceo

No comments: