Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Geo-Objects, Glitch, Tiles, Sounds

I now have a working version of the geometric object class. It's drawn with the PrimitiveBatch for now, though I plan on changing that eventually because it's too pixelly. Plus, it's only an outline, and it needs a texture. I'll probably just make some prefabs with static textures. Once I have a few, I'll make a map editor and try them out.

I finished the collision detection for the geo-objects as well. It wasn't so bad. I'm proud of my work. In the process I made some optimizations to some other collision detection as well. It works beautifully.

I also discovered a glitch. To create a new node, you click and drag from an existing node. Normally while dragging, a single node and segment are displayed under the cursor. However, I discovered that they were displaying once per grid square in view. When zoomed out that's alot, 100 at the moment. Two sprites (node and segment) x 100 = 200 sprites! That's fairly inefficient if you ask me. However, I'm proud to say that the game didn't slow down a bit. I didn't even notice it was happening until I saw the code in the wrong place.

I'm piddling around with Gimp and Inkscape, trying to come up with some presentable background tiles to try out. I could just go with the ones I made for the last iteration, but they were thrown together in seconds and really don't look right. I want a working look & feel for the game.

It would also be nice to get some sound effects going. Unfortunately, my webcam's microphone is broken. It's a LifeCam VX-6000. $60. I looked it up and many people have had the same problem. I haven't even dropped the thing. Anyway, I don't have a microphone to use, so I'll have some trouble managing the sound effects. However, once I find a way, I know how to cancel noise with Audacity.

Suggestions? Questions?

clevceo

No comments: