Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sprite/Geo-Objects, Single Player, Fog of War

I've made some decisions with the geo-objects. They'll be separated from the sprites. Also, the map editor will be able to draw geo-objects. The idea is that borders will be drawn around the sprites manually. Of course I'll include some prefabs that link the two together as well, if only for convenience.

Here's my first sprite object to place on a map:

If I don't meet an artist this next semester, I'll be doing the art myself. And I'll need some art to start off with anyway. Thus, I'll probably be making a few more.

Once the code for the sprites is complete, I will most likely get to work on the editor. I already have a base listbox control I can use to display the various tiles and sprites.

I'm making progress. Once the map editor is complete, I'll get the multiplayer up and running. Once that's working, I'll work on the structure of a single-player campaign. Right now you can only run a single map before returning to the main menu, but I need to be able to go from map to map, showing any cutscenes (pictures with text) and messages in between levels. I'll also need to do the scripting. That'll be a challenge.

Eventually, I hope to do the fog-of-war. I think the fun of the game will be multiplied if I do. But I'll have to think about that later. I really don't know how I'll do it. I would also like to display ghost images of opponent routes that were seen, but are now covered in fog. Basically, you'll see what was there last time that portion of the map was uncovered. I have an idea of how I'll implement that, but I just don't know how I'll detect whether a route is covered by fog or not. That's what has me befuddled.

Thanks for reading. Questions? Suggestions?

clevceo

No comments: