Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Loading Screen, Drag-n-Drop, Collision-Detection

I'm done for now with the loading screen. That doesn't mean it's complete. Why? There's not much to load yet. When there's more to load, there'll be more work to do on the loading screen. Anyway, I've made some decisions concerning the networking to get all players on the same page before starting the game. I like it. I've simplified it to the maximum and it's looking good. Who knows if it works, though. We'll see.

I've added drag-n-drop capability. Fortunately, I was able to borrow some code from my last iteration. There's some math involved with determining whether or not the cursor is above a segment or whether two segments intersect. In fact, I posted in the past about how horrible it was figuring that out for the first time. I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

Unfortunately, as soon as I added my first node, I received an error. After I fixed it, another popped up. As usual, it finally worked after about a half-hour to an hour. But of course, it still behaved incorrectly. It took the better part of the night fixing the behavior. I'm sure there are a few more problems that will crop up in time.

I added retraction. Same as before, problem after problem. I've fixed all that I've come across so far, and it's looking good. I've yet to add severance, which I'm positive will introduce a new multitude of errors.

Destroyed people and buildings now leave a ghost behind. They don't go away just yet. I'll do that next.

I redid some networking stuff. Simplified it. It's much easier now. More robust.

Soon, after severance is complete, I will add the collision detection. It won't be that hard. Just a little more code. At that point, I will probably focus my efforts on the network game, as I'll be able to trust everything other than networking to work fine.

Unfortunately, XNA 2.0 beta requires C# Express, which I can't install on the work computers for testing because it requires administrator rights to install. Maybe XNA 2.0 non-beta, which won't require C# Express, will be able to install without administrator rights. I'm crossing my fingers.

Any suggestions? Questions?

clevceo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You will find that the XNA 2.0 system Beta does not require express anymore. You can now use it on all SKUs of the visual Studio 2005 system.

Mykre
Virtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under...

clevceo said...

I realize that. I meant to say that it needs visual studio to install, whether express or not. It is not standalone.

clevceo said...

In fact, I've already dropped express to use pro with 2.0.