Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Route Theft

I'm debating whether to allow the player to steal his own routes. That doesn't sound right but I couldn't think of a better way of saying it next to explaining it in full.

However, a full explanation I will give. You have an extensive set of routes on the board. You send in a separate route route and connect it to an existing node within the first set, retracting its original source route. This way, if the source route is severing, you can save the rest of the route.

Here's a little ASCII art to illustrate:


\   /
 \ /
  Y      O
  |      |
  O      |
 /       |
/        |


\   /
 \ /
  Y------O
         |
  O      |
 /       |
/        |


The following route is no longer part of its original source, but becomes part of the second route. It is effectively stolen from its parent.

I thought of this a while back, but at the time I thought it was just "another feature" that I'd thought up in my head, contradictory to my goal to rely on the simplicity of the game to move it forward. However, I've recently begun to see the strategic possibilities the feature would present. Plus, it's still simple to do in-game. It would be a mere drag-n-drop. It would fit perfectly. As I write this, I like it more and more.

I'm going to do it. If you think I shouldn't, say so now. If you have any suggestions, please share them. Thanks for reading.

clevceo

No comments: