Friday, November 23, 2007

Local Sessions Xbox-Only, Join Game Window

Unfortunately, the whole idea of a "Local Network Session" (split-screen play on a single system) is Xbox only. That took me no less than four hours to figure out. For some reason, it wouldn't let me add any local players, so I searched and searched online until I finally found the bad news. The help files don't even make this clear.

I am forced to use an alternative, but I can't use the internet because Live play requires a Gold membership. Furthermore, Live play in the beta release also requires a Creators Club membership. To sum it up: not free.

Therefore, I can only use System Link, which means multiple computers over a local subnet. I'll probably eventually add Live support since the devs went to great lengths to make Live and System Link behave like twins in XNA. Only a few minor differences.

Anyway, without Local, testing will be a challenge. I can probably test the gameplay in a single-player mode, but I'll have to make arrangements for network testing (all I've got is my laptop).

At the moment I'm working on the Join Game window. I've basically finished the New Game window. For the Join Game window, I'll need a listbox, and for the listbox, I need a scrollbar. Scrollbar it is.

clevceo

No comments: