Monday, July 9, 2007

GUI, AI, Maps, Cosmetics

As usual, plans change. Instead of getting into the fog of war or even working on the mini-map, I decided to improve the reusability of my gui. I'm trying to remove the dependencies between it and Sever so that I can make it into a component. I have another project I'm beginning work on (it's a commission), and my gui code will come in handy. I'll probably have to do the same for my input classes, but they should be easier. Anyway, it's taking a while.

Sometimes coding can be tiring, especially when you are rewriting or modifying because it's more of a chore than a challenge. So anyway, I've decided to try reading up on AI again. The last few tries failed and my brain just about blew up. However, after all my time working on Sever, my understanding of the underground mechanics of a game has improved tremendously. So this time I was able to run right through the few chapters I read in the book ("Programming AI by Example" by Mat Buckland).

I read up on graph theory and pathfinding. I never knew it was so simple. All of a sudden, ideas have begun rolling on how to implement my AI. I realize it will be a huge challenge, but it will be satisfying just to see it work at all, especially while I wait for multiplayer support in XNA.

Before I do the AI, I want to add some geometric objects on the map (geometric makes it easier for me [a newbie] to do collision tests) so that I don't have to do any recoding with the AI later. Also, the map is currently hard-coded, so I need to allow custom maps to be loaded in. These maps will contain the tiles, objects, pathing info, and any other details they would need. So the AI will have to wait a bit longer.

I did a few cosmetic things. The two central nodes for each player now glow. I also changed the color of the route sections and changed the highlight color of the nodes (which may need to be changed again, because it's hard to see beneath the central nodes' glow).

Comments? Questions?

clevceo

No comments: