Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm Back

I'm back and I can continue work on Sever. When I got back, I bought a new laptop, a Pavilion dm4, which, despite the integrated graphics, has decent hardware for its modest price. I tried to pick back up on Sever, but when I tried to run the build, it gave me an error "No suitable graphics card found." I stopped breathing for a moment. For a few days, I didn't touch Sever and wondered if I'd just drop it or if I'd just go straight to C++. However, I'm taking a Java course (I haven't fiddled around with Java in years) this semester and I don't think it would be very fun juggling those two different languages. It would be much easier to juggle C# and Java because they are fraternal twins.

Just now, as I was writing a post about how I wasn't sure how I'd proceed, I had the wild idea to google the error and see if there's a way around it. Hip hip hooray, I found it. Basically, I change the project from a HiDef profile to a Reach profile, which is more limited, but can run on lower-end hardware, including phones. Since Sever is fairly simple graphics and input-wise, I don't find this a problem. And besides, by the time I get skilled enough that those limits get in the way, I'll probably have a better computer.

So there it is. I'm back and I'm ready to get started. But first, I have to re-familiarize myself with C#, XNA, and my code. That will take a little time. I'm basically running through all the code from my last build so that I can remember what it is, and I'm revising it as I go. I have some changes to the gameplay code that I'm looking forward to trying out.

I'll tell you what happens.

clevceo

No comments: