Saturday, March 31, 2007

Revel in My Creation, Xbox Controller Capability, Sound, and Contemplation

Today was busier than I thought, so I only had time for a couple things. First off, since I added zooming capability, I decided to try the game out, build what I thought would be a cool route system, and see it from an aerial view. Let me tell you, it was beautiful. It looked organic, like veins splitting every which way, and the people passing through it made it look alive. I was blown away by my own handiwork. I am proud. Every once in a while you need to step back and be amazed by your own creation.

However, this was still with the placeholder graphics. When I add the real graphics to the game, it's going to blow the world away with its magnificence.

Afterwards, I added the xbox controller capability, which is pretty nice. It's nice to be able to scroll at variable speeds and directions, whereas the keyboard has eight directions and one speed. Also, I used the two shoulder triggers for zooming. The right one zooms in and the left zooms out. I started adding rumble support when I got caught up doing something else, but I'm almost done with it, so the buildings will give a little rumble when they finish. Of course, in the end, I think I'll only do a rumble when your routes are destroyed because a rumble for each building could get annoying.

Something I was thinking about today is sound. I have Audacity, which I hear is a decent sound editing program, but I really have no experience with sound, so I'm not sure where to start. But I'll figure it out. Ideally I'd just happen across someone with such experience, but at the moment I know nobody.

In fact, the only person I know (under fifty) interested in software development is one person (I'm at a small university where all computer people are interested in everything but). And that person has a busy life. I'm going to make a training game with him this summer for our university library, but that's for pay and it doesn't entail nearly as much as Sever does. He just doesn't have the time for an effort without guaranteed return (and without any development schedule).

But when it comes down to it, I enjoy knowing that everything in the game was made by me. Plus, I learn so much more that goes into putting a game together (besides project management and team dynamics).

clevceo

No comments: