Monday, October 27, 2014

AI Progress

This is a really short update.  I've done some good work, but it was all on one thing and it can be explained fairly quickly.

I've made a little progress on AI.  It doesn't work yet, but I've begun setting it up based on what I've read.  There's now a thread that runs for each AI player and does all of its thinking.  So that I don't have to worry about making things thread safe (which is both messy and inefficient), I take a snapshot of everything in play and send it to the AI to process.  This is also necessary because I can't have the world data change while the AI is looking at it.  The snapshot isn't 100% complete.  It's only what the AI will need to do its thing.  That way, I can save a little time and memory.

Before I did that part though, I made all player actions command-based.  This cleans up the player interaction quite a bit.  I'm liking the changes.

It's all a bit of a mess at the moment, but hopefully it will come together soon so I can build a simple AI to play against.

Thanks for reading!

clevceo

No comments: