Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tech Demo, Smaller Demo, Hiatus

You've probably noticed that the tech demo is still yet to be released. I have one last thing to do before it's complete, but it's intimidating. I have to rework some code that I've already written, and that always means trouble. If I rework this code, I have to rework that code, and that code, and that code, too. Plus, I haven't touched Sever since December, so I'm bound to forget a few things.

Why haven't I been working on it? I'm busier than heck this semester. If I work on Sever, I have to put off homework. It's as simple as that. But the summer sounds more promising.

Now, I had an idea recently that may change my plans. In the past, I've made alot of progress on the game only to change my mind about a few things and start all over again. I'm thinking I might change my method. So far, I've tried to make a fully functional game engine, but now I think I might start over and make something smaller. I'm not giving up on my current draft, but I might stop before I get too far.

If I can make a small, easy version that only demonstrates the game mechanics without having to worry about the GUI, grid, and so forth, I can finish it quicker and will have more room to experiment. That way, I can get the mechanics down before I create the real game engine. Plus, I'll have something fully playable to show in less time. If I keep going the way I've been going, it'll be a while before I have something playable, which, as I'm about to tell you, means a few years.

In the fall, I'm going to leave for two years and I won't be working on any of my projects for that time. However, I plan to pick them back up afterwards. That is, if I'm still interested. I hope so.

Anyway, that is what's running through my head at the moment. If I have the time, I'll keep you updated on the tech demo and the smaller demo. Thanks for reading.

clevceo

No comments: